Cherry tomato confit
Hello lovely people. I’m here to share the most incredible and of my favorite Summer recipe with you guys today. I’m talking about the cherry tomato confit which is just so good and so delicious. It’s absolutely easy to make and goes well with lots of your future meals, starting from the scrambled or fried eggs, salads, pizza or simple pasta for dinner.
But first things first. You need to buy a good quality cherry tomatoes. The best time to find juicy, sweet tomatoes is end of June and July. You will find a huge verities of heirloom tomatoes. Different shapes and colors and all of them have a different unique flavor. When it comes to get the best tomatoes I always go to the Whole Foods where I can always find best quality tomatoes. But I bet in other states so you’ll find in a local markets too.
So, when you found the most delicious tomatoes, next you will need other ingredients to make the confit. Be careful, don’t eat all the tomatoes before cooking :)) It always happens to me! When it comes to the delicious tomatoes I can’t help it.
Good quality olive oil is the second important thing. Choose the cold press extra virgin olive oil that you like. I always recommend choose the best quality products, no matter what you are buying, try to choose a good stuff. Even salt can be very different but some people don’t know about it and usually don’t pay attention on it. But believe this is a big deal if you want to eat a TRULY delicious food. So, for this recipe you don’t need lots of ingredients. Basically the most important part is the tomatoes and olive oil.
Then here it comes the creative moment when you can add lots of ingredients that will help to create a beautiful flavor at the end. I love to experiment but sometimes the simpler the better, so I preferred to use classic ingredients which are perfectly match the tomatoes. Fresh basil leaves, oregano (fresh is better as well), thyme, garlic, sea salt and lemon black pepper. Does this sound yami already?!
Be ready to leave the oven on for at least 2.5 hours, usually it needs 3 hours. So, if this is too hot, make sure to turn the A/C on for the whole day, otherwise it’s gonna be sooo freaking hot in your house.
But guys, this is one of the best Summer treat that you can make at home and enjoy during the days or weeks, depends on how many batches you gonna make. I made only one jar and definitely will make more soon! You”ll have a quick and healthy garnish for your future meals which makes life easier sometimes, especially when you don’t have time to create something complicated or it’s just very hot to spend the time in the kitchen.
Ok, let’s get started!
Servings: 2.5 cups
Cooking time: 2.5-3 hours
- 3 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, your choice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 basil leaves
- 2-3 oregano sprigs
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 5-6 thyme sprigs
- pinch sea salt and lemon black pepper
- Preheat the oven at 250F. Prepare one or two baking trays.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes before cooking them. Place to the prepared baking trays, add the olive oil and give a gentle stir until the tomatoes a fully covered. Season with salt and pepper.
- Smash the garlic a little bit with the knife and place place it to the tomatoes. Slightly cut basil leaves and sprinkle them on top of the tomatoes along with thyme and oregano. Put the tomatoes in to the preheated oven and cook for 2.5-3 hours, until the tomatoes will have roasted edges and will be soft. Don’t forger to stir them every 40-50 minutes, so they won’t burn.
- When the tomatoes are ready, leave them on a baking tray to cool down, then transfer them to the clean jar and cover with olive oil and herbs that were cooked in. Keep it refrigerated for up to a month.
With this simple recipe you can create many dishes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Simply cook spaghetti, add the cherry tomato confit into it, garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil and voila, you have 15 minutes dinner ready! It’s delicious, it’s simple and so good!